a whole new way to play is coming to Frederick MD
The whimsy of Sophie and Madigan Lillard Memorial Playground
It’s all about the details, from the creative castle of Fantasy Land, the magical tea party of Wonder Land, and the adventurous Lost Boys Tree House in Never Land. Each detail handpicked by the Lillard family, reminiscent of family memories with Sophie and Madigan, in order to maximize the wonder each child will feel when they come to the playground.
The real “magic” of a Sophie & Madigan Lillard Memorial Playground is inspired by the incredible kindness that Sophie and Madigan shared with those they met in their short lives. The girls never left anyone out and always went our of their way to make sure everyone felt included, so we are focused on creating a fun and welcoming place for visitors of all ages, all sizes and all abilities.
We strive to meet the unique play needs of everyone in the community. While an estimated 20% of our nation’s individuals are living with a disability, only 10% of them use a mobility device. That means that the other 90% are living with autism, sensory challenges, cognitive and developmental issues, and complications that arise from aging. They play differently! We strive to have a safe place for everybody to play together!
Phase One Features
The Creative Castle is the center piece of Fantasy Land the realistic castle front stands 3 stories tall in front of a hidden play structure full slides, climbers, bridges, and many more unique ways to play together, not the least of which is imagination-driven play! The process of pretending builds skills in many essential developmental areas, including social and emotional skills. When children engage in pretend play, they actively experiment with the social and emotional roles of life.
Peaceful Pumpkin Patch
The cozy pumpkin pods in this area provide a retreat for children who become overstimulated and may need a quiet space to retreat. The interior textures and molded features allow for textile exploration. The pods also allow for gentle spin play which stimulates the vestibular system which can help with self regulation.